Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My 1% Change this Week...

This post is inspired by Jessi over at Naptime Diaries. The best way to change your life is with little changes.. the journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step!

This week, my 1% change is...to start reading AT LEAST a chapter a day of a godly, encouraging book. I love to read, but after I've done my daily Bible reading, usually if I have some time to read I turn to fiction of some sort.

I was recently convicted that I could be using my "reading" time more for God's glory than my entertainment. Before I had kids I read tons and tons of wonderful books ... AW Tozer, Elizabeth Elliot, Jerry Bridges, T.D Jakes, Beth Moore, Anne Graham Lotz...some of my favorite authors. These men and women have inspired me and encouraged me.

The book I started yesterday is "Loving God with All Your Mind" by Elizabeth George.



After Elle was born I struggled with severe postpartum depression. I won't go into the details now, but it took a long time for me to feel normal again. Once and awhile I start to feel satan trying to pull me back down into those deep, dark thoughts of depression and anxiety again. It's a battle I've had for awhile but with God's help, I refuse to let myself give into those feelings.

"Loving God with All your Mind" is a great book about focusing your mind on what is true, pure, lovely, and good. (Phil 4:8) I've already been encouraged in chapter two to start posting Scripture all around my house to focus on and memorize.

Whats your 1% change this week?

Have a wonderful day xoxo



Photobucket

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Have you ever read Beautiful in Gods Eyes by her? It's amazing totally reinvented my life as a mom and wife!

Emily said...

No...it sounds wonderful! I have read a few other of her books, cant think of the names right now though

Stephanie said...

That is a great goal! Good luck!
Love ur blog btw.

Have a great day!
- Stephanie

Anonymous said...

My 1% Change is reading my devotions before i even touch my laptop in the morning...SUPER hard for me. And to Pray for one person on my heart each morning :) Thanks for the challenge Em! Love ya